Monday, July 6, 2009

Trainers

I joined a new gym today, and my friends are already asking me when I'm going out on a date with a new guy. It turns out when it comes to my "type" of man, personal trainers tend to fit the bill. Several of the men I have dated over the last year have been men that either worked at my gym or worked out as much as I did. I don't know what it is. The only thing I can think is that I am more confident in the gym than in other place or point in time. I really believe that confidence--not looks--is what attracts a man. Sure enough, the personal trainer who showed me how to work some of the machines today asked me out. It leads me to think of my first personal trainer...

About 4.5 years ago I joined a gym and have been addicted to working out ever since. I lost 60 pounds and came to see how working out could help me stay true to my love of food. The first gym I joined was an all-women's gym, and by the time I joined a coed gym, I had lost about 40 pounds and was feeling confident. I was also living at home and saving lots of money, so I decided to treat myself to personal training. That's when I met Personal Trainer #1 (PT1). (Yes, #1 because there are more to come...) It was clear from the start that there was a spark between PT1 and me. I didn't think I would be able to workout with someone I was attracted to watching my every move, but it turns out guys really dig a sweaty woman.

I knew that I was headed down a dangerous path when during our 4th session PT1 decided to put me through an hour of cardio hell. At the end when I asked why he had focused on cardio, he said that it was to test my stamina and gave me that sly wink us ladies know all too well. 10 sessions later and 15 pounds lighter, I ended up getting a job that required me to move. Considering PT1 was no longer my trainer and that I was moving, I decided to go out with him just to say that I had gone out with a guy who made my head spin. It was one of the best dates ever because all I did was stare at him, and it was a beautiful sight to see. I even got a kiss at the end. Thankfully I didn't swoon. So of course, I found myself wanting to see him again. I actually drove home two weekends later just to see him (5 hour drive!), but then he ended up standing me up for some of his friends. It was then that I realized my one date was all I was going to get. Good thing--he later ended up losing his job for hitting on his boss's daughter and losing his driving privileges to a DUI--definitely not the type of man to take home to momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment